Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving Fun



Above is a Thanksgiving postcard of a tiny chef with a large knife and fork. He is sitting on a pumpkin that is on a cart pulled by a turkey. The situation is absurd, but it is typical of many early Thanksgiving postcards. I chose this postcard for today because it fits it with the vintage ad shown below and also my Thanksgiving Fun video.

The International Silver Co. ad shown below is from the November, 1923 Ladies' Home Journal. The ad features a cute picture of two children with a turkey and a humorous verse:
Turkey in the barnyard
Looking mighty smart,
Silver knife awaiting
To carve him all apart.



The Thanksgiving Fun video is one I made with vintage Thanksgiving postcards from my collection. These cards feature children playing with turkeys. Many of the scenes shown are ones of children running around with the turkeys, posing with them, or offering them food. It is not hard to imagine children engaging in these activities 100 years ago when these postcards were new. Other scenes are obviously fantasy.




I'm participating in Vintage Thingie Thursday



7 comments:

  1. thanks for stopping by to visit me! I love postcards. I have a Thanksgiving one with a large spoon on it that I put on my grandmothers souvenir spoon holder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are adorable...thanks for sharing!

    HaPpY vInTaGe ThInGiE tHuRsDaY!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always know you're going to serve up some great cards for Thanksgiving. You've done it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! You're right about the usual absurdity of Thanksgiving postcards. But all enjoyable at the same time. Great video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first card is a riot. It's pulling a cart to his own doom....those poor turkeys don't stand a chance!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...