Saturday, January 22, 2011

John F. Kennedy on Stamps



If you have been watching the news this week, you probably know that January 20 was the 50th anniversary of John F. Kennedy's inauguration. I am showing this postcard with Kennedy stamps from many nations in honor of that anniversary.

This undated card advertises the Interpex International Stamp & Coin Show Kennedy Memorial Exhibit. Surprisingly, the 5¢ U.S. stamp honoring Kennedy that was issued issued May 29, 1964 for Kennedy's 47th birthday is not shown. This seems like a strange omission unless the exhibit was held before the U.S. stamp was issued.


stamp image from Wikipedia

I am participating in Sunday Stamps at Viridian's Postcard Blog.



4 comments:

  1. There was little in the news in the UK this week about the 50th anniversary of JFK's inauguration. I wrote a piece on my Writelink blog called Lancer (http://www.writelink.co.uk/community/blogs/posts/Bob_Scotney)
    Great set of stamps - I'll have to check my USA collection to see which I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for participating postcardy! A postcard with stamps on it - that is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a first day cover of the 5c candle stamp, I'll have to find it. Thanks for the interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice postcard, a universal sense of loss then and now. I like the candle stamp.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...