Saturday, February 13, 2010

Vintage Valentine Card Party - Gibson Valentines



I am participating in the Vintage Valentine Card Party at The Potting Shed/Anything Goes Here. There will be many participants showing off their vintage valentines, so be sure to look at as many as you can.

I don't have many valentines, and I mainly collect postcards. I like to look for valentines with kittens and cats. For this post I am focusing on Gibson valentines because I happen to have a bunch of those. The first pair (above) are folding cards with fuzzy flocking and greetings inside. They about 4" X 6" and are dated 1946. I really appreciate the fact that many people dated their valentines. If anyone has dates for any of the others I am showing here, please leave a comment.

The next group of fourteen valentines are unused ones I bought as a set. They are about 4" X 5". I was just looking for cats, but I am glad I had to buy the whole group. I can really relate to the ones with children more than I do to the cats. I don't know the date of these, but I am guessing early 1950s.









The next one the same size as the above group and is my favorite because I have two brown tabby cats. One of my cats likes to lie on her back, so this card makes me think of her. I am really amused by the idea of my cat calling me on the phone!



The last two are smaller in size, about 4" high. The one on the left has tabs on the bottom, and the one on the right is a folded card with a greeting inside.



The backs of these cards are shown below.




29 comments:

  1. I love these.
    They remind me of such a simpler time. Great collection!
    Happy Valentine's Day!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your old Valentines. Thanks for sharing.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have collected so many..love them!

    http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute cards! I have mostly postcards, but I shared them anyway! Happy Valentines Day!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have the most amazing collection! i love all your postcards, and these valentine cards are so cute! the cat on the telephone is my favorite, too (I also have a tabby!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such cute Valentines! Thank you for the comment on my blog and for sharing your lovely cards.
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute valentines. I've just discovered the joy of old postcards. It started with looking for art for my blog then I found some in our attic. I'm hooked for sure now!
    Hugs,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so very much for sharing your wonderful Valentine collection with us. They are all so special. I love that you showed the back of the cards as well. I think the vintage copy marks are beautiful as well! Happy Valentine's Day to you! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have quite a few vintage valentines and they're all wonderful. I love that people used to date them too. Some of mine are unused and I really wish they had been, so I might have a date on them.
    Have a wonderful Valentines Day.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh i love your cards! if i had to pick a fav i'd pick the last two :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! That's quite a collection! I prefer the puppies to the kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your collection. My favorites are the type you have- featuring children and animals from the 40's-50's.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh! Those are all adorable!! ♥Happy Valentine's Day♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is great that they are dated and is something I never think to do when sending cards for any occassion. I never considered the maker of the cards and I found it interesting you point this out. I've enjoyed looking at them immensly and thanks for sharing. Happy Valentine's Day ~ Judi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boy some of your valentine cards bring back memories. Great collection you have.

    Happy Valentines Day,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable valentines. I love the thought also that my cat may call me too with Valentine wishes. Thanks for stopping by my blog for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are wonderful!! I have had such fun with this party! Thanks for stopping by. Hope you have had a lovely Valentine's Day!

    Back Porch Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  18. What wonderful cards! I especially like the one where the cat is dressed up as a person- Thanks for sharing and thanks for visiting my blog! Have a lovely Valentine's Day...

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet collection!! I see that you live in MN!! me too !!!
    Thanks for sharing your collection and I hope you had a great day.
    Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great collection,they are all adorable! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. All of these are special but cats are a favorite. Cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thease cards are great, you have a wonderful collection of them. I still have not seen a Halloween postcard with the American Flag been looking No luck yet. Thanks for shareing your photos.. Julian

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved how you paired up your cards. Very sweet collection.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for participating in the Vintage Valentine Card Party and sharing your treasures with us. xo Joan, your hostess

    ReplyDelete
  25. I Love the Old time Valentines, they don't look the same anymore....
    have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such sweet little faces on those cards...I'm glad you had to buy the whole set ,too...because I've enjoyed you sharing them:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooooh, these are wonderful. I have a soft spot for Valentines Day Cards. I hope you don't mind my adding them to my "cyber" collection.

    You are an angel to share these cards--I enjoyed every card, and every word.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the ones with animals, but the kids are so darn wholesome looking too. Brings back fond memories of Sally, Dick, and Jane.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...