Wednesday, September 2, 2009

VTT - Minnesota State Fair - Territorial Pioneers Cabins

The Minnesota Territorial Pioneers is an organization whose members are descendants of early settlers in the Minnesota Territory, before Minnesota became a state in 1858. The organization has participated in the Minnesota State Fair since 1900.



The first postcard was mailed in 1911 and shows the original log cabin the Territorial Pioneers used at the fair. This cabin was built in 1900-1901 and was used until 1957. The second postcard shows the cabin that has been used since 1958. This cabin was originally built by the WPA in 1936 and was used for other purposes in another part of the fairgrounds. It was moved to the location of the original cabin after the original cabin was condemned and demolished.



The interior of the cabin has many "vintage thingies" on display. The photos below are some that I took when I visited the fair a couple of days ago. First is an old album of trade cards and scraps on display in the parlor area.



Next is a small painted trunk dated 1885.



The sewing machine perched on top of a crazy quilt is a "Minnesota" Model B distributed by Sears Roebuck & Co. in 1907. The "Minnesota" sewing machine was Sears Roebuck and Company's main sewing machine trade name for many years. It was named after Richard Sears' native state of Minnesota and was sold until World War II. There were many different models of "Minnesota" sewing machines made by a number of different manufacturers.



The last photo is a detail from the crazy quilt.


22 comments:

  1. Such wonderful vintage thingies! That trunk is gorgeous, and those trade cards are little works of art! I like the history of that sewing machine too, because I like anything to do with Sears Roebuck. My favorite thing though is that crazy quilt. It reminds me of my grandma. She made alot of crazy quilts, and I'm lucky enough to have two of them!
    Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post...EVERYTHING...the quilt, the sewing machine, the trading cards...!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Oh, how I love those crazy quilts. The handwork on them is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to go to the state fair every year when I was a child.
    I love that crazy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the book of trade cards and the crazy quilt. What a fun place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful trade cards and a crazy quilt that is just remarkable. Love that old sewing machine, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun and interesting post. I am partial to vintage postcards so I loved the ones you shared and the stories behind them. Also really loving the old trade cards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure would love to learn how to quilt! Especially crazy quilting. I have an heirloom wedding quilt that is in need of repair. I recently ran into a woman raffling off a beautiful quilt she made for our towns disaster preparedness program, and she is going to show me how!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting story. I loved most the crazy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohhh what fun seeing inside this historic cabin!!..i would love that sweet old sewing machine & crazy quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post! I love the post card of the cabin, and the little vintage post cards in the book is great. But I have to say, I love the sewing machine and the info and the quilt...that looks like one great quilt. Have a great weekend and a Happy VTT!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow such a great post. I love all the vintage thingies. Love the quilt and the trunk. Thanks for sharing.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. That painted trunk from the 1800's is way cool!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Living it up Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is the cutest little painted trunk ever! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I DO love postcards---and yours are some of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That crazy quilt is great! The trade cards are beautiful; I'll bet you loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How I love old log cabins - and I've always had a wild imagination about what might be inside of them - it's great to get a glimpse inside one!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah, as for me , I love the crazy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh they were all so great!!

    thanks for sharing it all

    blessings

    barbara jean

    ps thanks for coming by. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy Guacamole! So much in that short and wonderful Post!!!!

    Thanks for sharing - the history lessons especially!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...